tax technical advisor _ international tax, high wealth individuals & GST
I am a tax professional with more than 13 years' experience from working in the ATO. I am a Chartered Tax Advisor (CTA) and have the advanced tax knowledge, broad experience and high level of problem solving skills. I specialise in international tax, high wealth individual & private groups, tax compliance and advice. I have worked in different sections as technical advisor and auditor, covering a broad scope of work and interacted with a diverse range of people. I have qualifications of Masters of Taxation and Master of Commerce and I am also a Certified Practicing Accountant (CPA). I have sound accounting, finance and tax knowledge and I can analyse and interpret financial statements and use research tools to assess performance and risks. I have practical experience and detailed knowledge of the ATO processes, practices and systems in various areas ranging from audit, rulings & advice, objections, amendments and litigation. I am outcome orientated and internally driven to achieve personal and corporate goals. I am good at identifying tax legislative loopholes as well as operational constraints, bottlenecks and design solutions. Prior to joining the ATO, I worked in Australian Customs and for multinationals in the IT industry overseas (IBM China and Singapore Creative Multimedia Co.). These experiences gave me the perspectives of both businesses and revenue authorities and enhanced my understanding of both commercial and public service practice and policies. I am now seeking to apply my technical skills and further my development as a practitioner in the private sector. I am quick at developing professional relationship and trust with the clients and strive to provide excellent customer service with real and valuable solutions.More
- Objection officer (4 years), dealing with objections resulting from audits and unfavourable rulings of large companies and high wealth individuals and their private groups.
- Litigation officer (0.5 year), dealt with litigation cases at the AAT (Administrative Appeal Tribunal) and Federal Court;
- Law Interpretation officer (3.5 years), provided oral and written advice (private rulings, tax determinations and public rulings)
- Auditor (6 years), audited public companies, high wealth individuals and private groups (trusts, partnerships, individuals)
- As an objection officer in PGI (Private Groups and International) and HWI (High Wealth Individuals), I decided objections that resulted from audits or private rulings in relation to taxpayers in the PGI and HWI market and dealt with complex tax technical issues and sophisticated tax planning.
- I also conducted complex audits involving HWI’s consolidated groups and their tax performance, business financing with multiple derivatives and debt/equity issues, as well as trusts, business structure and wealth distribution issues.
- In HWI, I correctly identified risks regarding an artificial and highly complex group restructure and had the case escalated to an audit and settled with a net revenue outcome of $6m. In HWI, I resolved a difficult audit issue where Division 16E applied and the taxpayer paid $2m in tax.
- I have conducted litigation cases in RDR (Review and Dispute Resolution). The issues I dealt with cover GST, income tax, penalty, debt collection and non-disclosed foreign income, etc. I briefed barristers on tax technical issues, prepared documents for the AAT and Federal Court and attended conferences at the AAT. These enabled me to understand the appeal process, the methodology of different sections across the ATO and the strategic considerations and procedures for litigation work.
- In the IA International team, I used to be on weekly duty to answer queries in relation to international tax issues, which were escalated from call centres around Australia. The queries were posed by taxpayers or tax agents with different levels of business operations and tax knowledge.
- I have strengthened my ability to quickly understand an issue, identify the areas of law, apply the law to the relevant tax scenario and explain it to the taxpayer/agent in appropriate language to resolve their queries.
- I have designed the ITX Income Tax champion project under the relevant Commissioner's initiative.
- I have designed and delivered training to ITX staff on income tax topics, especially on International tax topics.
- I have organised training by the subject specialists to ITX staff on transfer pricing issues.
- I have mentored and assisted the ITX staff to identify income tax issues in large business and multinationals ITX cases.
I was the technical leader for High Wealth Individuals Objections team and currently the project leader for Indirect Tax of the ATO's Public Group & Enterprises (multinationals)'s Income Tax capability project. I was responsible for assessing cases, work items to identify issues, the area of tax law involved and the skill set required then allocate the cases to the appropriate team members. I also mentor and train the team members on tax technical and work process, as well as conduct case quality assurance.More
- Commercial clearance & investigator
My career highlight was taking a critical role in a major joint operation between Customs, AFP and Immigration Department against an incident of people smuggling fromMore
- Designed marketing strategy, coordinated product promotion, advertising and exhibitions
- Supported sales team, allocated/assigned stocks from different locations for consignment
- forecasted, calculated and assigned the sales credits for the sales force
- Won Manager's award for "outstanding employee of 1995", IBM China
Education and Qualifications
|2016||Chartered Tax Advisor (CTA)||Other||the Tax Institute of Australia||No|
|2014||Master of Taxation - Law||Master's Degree||University of New South Wales||No|
|2001||Certified Public Accountant Qualification||Other||CPA Australia||No|
|1999||Master of Commerce||Master's Degree||University of New South Wales||No|
|1993||Bachelor of Science||Bachelor Degree||Nanjing University||No|