- Key Achievement - Creating and documenting an entire finance process from scratch for this new business venture, to ensure timely and accurate reporting in line with Group expectations ;
- Key Achievement - Creation and maintenance of financial models for FY16 budgets, mapping the detailed requirements of a start-up TV company to the expectations of Group reporting as a telecoms company. ;
- Responsible for all month and period end reporting, Board reporting, financial planning and budgeting ;
- Responsible for all reporting, including acquisitions, for other TV-related companies within the PNG business ;
- Commercial voice in all pricing and costing decisions within DMV ;
- Key role in analysing sales information to help direct focus of marketing, retail and sales teams
- Point of contact for all financial enquiries to DMV, both internal and external, reporting directly to Group CFO in Singapore
Largest mobile telecommunications provider across the South Pacific and Caribbean; new venture into Freeview and Satellite television Acting Chief Financial OfficerMore
- Key Achievement - Having the experience to allow the firm to bring in new types of engagements - financial modelling, financial analysis, valuations, non-standard assurance engagements.
- Audit Senior on clients across a number of areas, including local government, public sector, education, tourism and insurance
Medium-sized Darwin-based professional services firm Senior AccountantMore
- Key Achievement - Introducing financial controls to the online area of the business, eventually creating and regulating a budget of up to GBP 150m p.a. for a previously un-regulated area. This involved meeting with software engineers, programme designers and building relationships with non-finance people across the business in order to establish financial controls and a viable budget process.
- Financial Controller of E-Experience. This was the most significant development within Sky Finance in a number of years, a project-driven focus on reducing call volumes by placing new emphasis on online interaction. My role included meeting with project heads, agreeing and monitoring their budgets, approving new staffing requests, and consolidating the area's financials into a monthly management pack for review by the FD and Group
- Group analyst with Contact Centre Finance, a significant cost centre within Sky Finance
- Key contact and conduit for all Group and Customer Group requests to Contact Centre Finance, responsible for managing all submissions, collating and consolidating necessary information from a variety of sources (both financial and non-financial), and presenting upwards.
- Responsible for building and updating annual forecast models, and working with Sales, Service and Overheads analysts to populate models and develop efficient and relevant reporting
- Ad hoc work included creating a new financial model to forecast expected bank charges more accurately, and a project to resolve an issue with phone lines where bills were being paid for lines that had not been in use for a number of years because there was no central monitoring of lines - as a result of this work, a significant permanent saving was made (GBP 90k p.a.), and monitoring established
- Day to day work included a lot of process work with various financial systems, including ARIBA, TM1, Cognos, JD Edwards, Insight, and regular interaction with other analysts, FCs and Heads of Finance.
Largest provider of Satellite TV services in the UK Financial Analyst/ControllerMore
Finance Advisory business and Boutique Investment BankMore
- Key Achievement - Taking responsibility for the model audit process in the Camden ``Building Schools for the Future'' Project, which reached Financial Close in * Key Achievement - As part of a project for the National Asset Management Agency of Ireland, creating bespoke financial models to assess and flex the business plans proposed by some of their key debtors, and provide feedback and advice on NAMA's plans for recovering their investments
- Working as an analyst largely in the public sector and infrastructure finance teams
- Managing and updating financial models for numerous projects
- Building models to compare funding terms from lending institutions as basis for advising clients on funding structures and offerings, for numerous education clients, such as Glasgow College of Art, Dundee College, Robert Gordon's, Forth Valley College and others.
- Building models to compare offerings from construction tenderers as part of QM advisory team to public bodies, specifically Orkney and Highland councils on the procurement of a series of new school buildings.
- Ad hoc research and analysis work, using internet and other company resources, such as the in-house Bloomberg terminal, to produce briefing notes and materials on issues like the Scottish Budget, the Browne Report, Basel II, or other relevant business & market developments, and to support QM tenders, proposals and other external presentations.
- Responsible for the treasury section of S&N, directing one more junior team member, auditing complex derivatives, loan syndication, cash and cash-flow management, hedging, etc.
- Treasury role involved a great deal of planning, including rereading IAS 39 and drafting process notes for the audit of some more complex sections
- Responsible for audit of Joint Ventures and Associate companies, requiring extensive liaison with foreign auditors.
- Main stats reported under IFRS; I had personal responsibility for all the notes relevant to my sections of the audit
- Responsible for a large number of subsidiary statutory audits completed after the main audit, with main role being communicating daily with the Group reporting accountant at S&N UK, and the partner at EY, to meet client/statutory deadlines for submission of accounts.
- Member of Head Office audit team, role included:
- Responsibility for multiple head office companies and their consolidation into the main group
- Review of Pensions disclosures and management of relationship with client's actuaries and EY's own actuarial department
- Senior in charge of Aviation division of Menzies Plc. ;
- Responsible for extensive planning and controls testing as part of first year audit.
- Managed a team of four, carrying out statutory audits of the trading companies to be consolidated into the Aviation division of the business, under extreme time pressure, working with foreign auditors and overseas client staff from the Aviation head office in London Heathrow.
- Audit Senior to team of four, responsible for the audit of the Filofax group and all its foreign subsidiaries and divisions
- Responsible for planning the audit, delegating work to team, coaching junior members, and specific deliverables such as the Board Reports for planning, and for completion.
- Responsible for reasonably complex consolidation, as well as subsidiary reporting through EY and other auditors.
- Identified areas for offering possible additional services to client (transaction advisory), and raised this with the EY partner in charge.
- Audit Senior to team of three, responsible for audit of this small group
- Client acquired subsidiaries and opted to consolidate statutory accounts for the first time, and my role included ad hoc advice on this, auditing the consolidation and advising on how to present the acquisition in the statutory accounts.
- Responsible for meeting tight reporting deadlines set down by EY Paris and Suez Group, which meant flexible working hours to suit client needs
- Identified further opportunity for EY in IFRS conversion of OIS group stats for submission to parent.
- Senior in small team of two, responsible for audit of all Rockstar companies from Edinburgh office
- Key challenges of audit were meeting strict reporting deadlines from US parent, and the lack of financial personnel at client
- Other clients have included Cairn Energy plc, Bowleven plc, John Menzies plc, Aptuit Ltd plus extensive experience of public sector, with Scottish Association for Mental Health, The Royal Highland Agricultural Society of Scotland, and the University of the West of Scotland.
- Extensive experience of consolidation, statutory reporting, treasury functions, IFRS and pensions and other statutory disclosures through audit work on key clients.
- Acted as ``EY Champion'' both in Excel and in-house audit software for the past year, providing the first level of support for queries from members of the department.
Audit Department, CA stream Clients included Scottish & Newcastle plc - 2 years John Menzies Plc - First year audit. Letts Filofax Group - 2 years Ondeo Industrial Solutions Ltd (subsidiary of Suez Group) - 3 years Rockstar Group - (2 years) OtherMore
- Financial analyst role in off-trade sector, responsibilities included:
- Monthly financial presentations to 3 key sales teams (non-finance personnel), to highlight areas of opportunity and problem areas.
- Creating tracking spreadsheets, budgets and models to enable profitability monitoring and accurate forecasting both at brand and more detailed level for individual sales teams
- Liaison between sales teams and finance; first port of call for dealing with ad hoc queries from sales personnel regarding pricing, rebates, forecasting, etc
- Additional ad-hoc project work for Heineken Global, presenting information on promotions, pricing, margin analysis, etc to parent company as part of ongoing global harmonisation project.
- Some basic accounting and reporting responsibilities as well, using SAP, OTIS and in house software.
- Preparation of statutory accounts for some smaller subsidiaries of S&N.
6 month secondment to Commercial FinanceMore
- Worked on project to recover cash from more accurate billing of local councils ;
- Responsibilities included establishing contacts at assigned council offices (Edinburgh & Lothians, Borders, etc), devising and presenting strategy both to Scottish Water management and to Council staff, and extensive work on in-house software to ensure correct billing going forward.
18 months working in BillingMore
Education and Qualifications
|2003||Master of Arts||Master's Degree||UNIVERSITY OF EDINBURGH||No|
|1999||4 A Levels & 1 Higher||Other||FETTES COLLEGE||No|
- Excel (Advanced)
- SAP (Intermediate)
- Cognos (Advanced)
- JD Edwards (Intermediate)
- MYOB (Advanced)
- TM1 (Advanced)
- Great Plains (Advanced)