Registered Migration Agent, Lawyer and ex-Government professional worker
Highly experienced public sector legal officer (formerly admitted as a Barrister now admitted as a Solicitor) possessing comprehensive knowledge of public administration related law, policy and administration with over 30 years experience. I am registered as a Migration Agent MARN *** and currently am working with refugees.More
- Resolution of legal disputes involving deceased estates
- Representing estates in estate litigation - will validity, probate, family provision
- Provision of specialist legal drafting and advisory services to Will makers
- Drafting of complex documents including Wills and trusts
- Preparation of complex legal correspondence within tight timeframes
- Conflict resolution and negotiation.
- Improving and maintaining the quality and timeliness of legal advice and assistance provided to clients and internal Will makers obtaining positive feedback
- Solicitor in some notable estate litigation cases that proceeded to judgment.
- Settling estate claims ;
- Recovering of property for victims of financial abuse.
- Revision and reporting on bills and subordinate legislation to ensure compliance with fundamental legislative principles
- Legal research and reporting on the lawfulness of subordinate legislation
- Preparation of correspondence in relation to enquiries and legislative matters for the Clerk of the Parliament.
Key Achievements: Reports to Parliamentary Committees produce with respect to Bills and subordinate legislation with positive feedback for quality of advice and recommendations.More
- Provision of legal advice, legal drafting services and litigation support
- Liaison with various departments regarding public liability claims(Crown Law, WorkCover and the Queensland Government Insurance Fund)
- Representing the department at compulsory conferences ;
- Briefing of the chief executive in relation to legal claims, and provided recommendations for the disposal of such claims
- Drafting and advising the chief executive and departmental officers on instruments of authorisation, delegation and appointments under departmentally administered statutes and subordinate legislation.
- FOI Review and Privacy Officer
Key Achievements: Water Act amendments Timely drafting and settling of correctly prepared numerous instruments.More
- Provision of legal representation, advice, drafting and litigation services to the Public Trustee of Queensland in relation to disability and estate matters
- Litigation management and outsourcing of legal services to external legal service providers
- Interpretation of statutes and court orders ;
- Provision of accurate legal advice on the construction of Wills and trust deeds, equitable contribution claims, property and commercial law matters
- Staff management ;
- Processing FOI applications for Public Trustee's delegate
Key Achievements: Recovered property for defrauded intellectually disabled clients. Successfully settled many claims by and against deceased estates administered by the Public Trustee as personal representative assisting winding up of deceased estates. Successful application to the Supreme Court to alter terms of a trust enabling funds to be available to a young footballer . Protecting assets of estates of clients under administration. Identified erroneous prior incorrect legal advice that had resulted in testamentary gifts to the Queensland Community Foundations being thought not able to accepted with consequent loss of earnings for the Public Trustee as trustee of the Foundation.More
- Provision of legal drafting services - preparation of departmental memoranda of understanding with other government departments and agencies including in other jurisdictions, contracts, deeds and lease terms
- Provision of legislative policy and development services, including undertaking role of instructing/liaison role with the parliamentary draftsman, Crime and Misconduct Commission, Information Commissioner and Ombudsman
- Assisting the Fire Services Commissioner with Fire Levy Appeals - investigating grounds of appeal, providing advice to the Commissioner and preparing draft decision notices including reasons for upholding or rejecting the appeals
- Litigation management (worker's compensation/common law personal injuries' claims)
- Advising on Interpretation of legislation, public legal liability (tort) and contractual claims, contract tendering processes, intellectual property, competition law, staff discipline and professional standards, administrative law (Privacy, FOI and judicial review matters) including decision making as FOI Internal review Officer
- Management of departmental litigation Coordination of departmental audits
- FOI Internal Review/Privacy Officer
- Reducing legal exposure of the department through advice provided.
- Contributing to development and enactment of key legislation.
- Successfully balancing the diverse areas of responsibility.
- Provision of professional legal advice and legal representation to clients of the Legal Aid Office.
- Advising clients regarding family law, dismissal from employment, anti-discrimination, credit/debts, residential tenancies, motor vehicle claims, personal injuries, criminal charges, driver's licensing and traffic matters, criminal compensation, and eligibility guidelines for legal aid.
- Management of litigation proceedings and represented clients at family law conferences .
- Successfully representing victims of crime in obtaining appropriate orders from the court for statutory compensation .
- Provision of legal advice on interpretation of legislation and public liability issues ;
- Legal drafting - deeds and agreements
- FOI Internal Review Officer
Acting Legal Friend (statutory appointment) - third party decision making for impaired adults ; - secondment to State Office of Cabinet on legal and constitutional issues ; - Legal Co-ordinator Secretariat Office of Health Professional Boards (legal and management role) ; - FOI decision maker then FOI Review OfficerMore
- See Resume
Education and Qualifications
Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Law, Grad Dip Leg Prac, Grad Cert AustMigLawPracMore
|-||Certificate of Academic Excellence||Other||Griffith Uni||No|
|-||Graduate Certificate of Australian Law||Other||Griffith Uni||No|
|-||Bar Practice Certificate||Other||Curtin University||No|
|-||- legal and management||Other||Legal Co-ordinator Secretariat Office of Health||No|
Achievements and Awards
Certificate of Academic Excellence, Griffith University